I feel so delighted knowing that there so many people participated in the Twincity Marathon 2022 held on 23-24 July 2022 in Persiaran Flora, Cyberjaya. I used to be a long-distance runner too and a proud finisher of three half marathons. Running long distance like any other exercise requires the right food to provide nutrients and energy.
For your information, potatoes are a nutrient-dense vegetable that provides the energy, fiber, potassium and Vitamin C which boost sport performances and help fuel people who do sports or lead an active lifestyle. Recent research findings indicated that potatoes are found to have the nutrients that could benefit fitness buffs, marathoners and sportspersons. Isn’t this great?
Potatoes USA took on the role of a key sponsor of this Twincity Marathon 2022. An outdoor tent was erected, with various personnel serving U.S. potato products to the 4,000 runners in both the full and half marathons.
The U.S. mashed potatoes served are aimed to help runners replenish energy levels and nutrients needed after the marathon. Educational materials on potato power nutrition to improve sports performance were also distributed at the event.
This event was also graced by the participation of His Excellency U.S. Ambassador to Malaysia, Mr. Brian D. McFeeters, 61 years of age, who took part in the half marathon (21km run). “I am delighted to see Potatoes USA as a sponsor of this marathon and glad to have the information that potatoes are healthy, high in potassium, Vitamin C and fiber – which are great for post recovery,” quipped Mr. Brian. “So now, maybe Malaysian can get to enjoy more potatoes like what we do in the U.S.,” he continued.
Clocking an impressive marathon finishing time of 2.27 hours, Brian showed that with proper diet and fuel, at his age, he could still beat many younger Malaysians in the half marathon. Despite his busy schedule, he exercises regularly and maintains a healthy diet with the help of U.S. potatoes.
Max Lim, 51, a writer in KL loves to run and is a familiar face at most marathons in town. “As a runner, I love U.S. potatoes because they are a nutritional powerhouse that help me stay fueled for my runs. They are quite easy to digest and reduce hunger pangs during a long or intense run. Furthermore, they are tasty and can be prepared in many ways – there are no limit to the versatility of the U.S. potatoes,” enthused Max.
Runner Kelly Chin, 45 years old, said she enjoys eating U.S. Potatoes for her carbo energy, as it is a healthier alternative. “Potatoes are one of the must-haves in my kitchen because they are versatile, nutrient-dense, and energy packed food. This helps to fuel my workouts and runs,” she explained.
Over the past 40-50 years, numerous studies had been conducted and suggested that carbohydrates are a primary macronutrient for sustaining and improving athletic performance. According to Nutrition Today, a US journal, it is suggested that a balanced diet high in natural, quality carbohydrate rich foods like nutrient-densed potatoes may be optimal to improving physical performance among elite endurance athletes.
Here are some key facts about the potato power:
- 26 grams of carbohydrate – Potatoes are a nutrient-dense quality carbohydrate, important for optimal physical and mental performance as the primary fuel for your brain and a key source of energy for muscles. And, because your body’s own stores of carbohydrate are limited and may be depleted – even in a single session of intense and/or prolonged exercise– it’s important to replenish them.
- 620 Milligrams of Potassium – A medium-sized (148g) potato, with the skin-on, provides more potassium than a banana, no fat, no sodium, and no cholesterol. Potatoes are perfect for aiding muscle, cardiovascular and nervous system function during long endurance events.
- 30% of daily value of Vitamin C – Potatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin C which helps to boost the immune system and aids in collagen production, a major muscle tissue component.
- 3 grams of plan-based protein – Protein is a key component of muscle and an important nutrient for performance.
- 2 grams of fiber (7% daily value) – Fiber helps regulate blood glucose and increase satiety, making one feel full longer.
- 110 Calories for Energy – Easily digestible and more energy dense than any other popular vegetable, potatoes are a good choice to fuel the demands of racing a marathon.
Time to boost your performance with Potatoes USA!
Follow me for more
FB: Dixon Thum
2 thoughts on “U.S. Potatoes Boosts Athletic Performance in Twincity Marathon 2022”
Nice information shared ya! Really good choice to go with US Potatoes kan! Really nutritious bah
Definitely a good choice. It’s a good source of nutrient and energy, especially for athletes.